1 in 3 kids will be injured seriously enough to miss games or practices, according to a study done by non-profit research group. So what can be done to prevent injuries? Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children & Fatherly has some recommendations.
- Don’t Specialize Too Early – research suggests sports diversification in younger athletes
- Exercise According to Your Age – injury risks increase if you exercise more hours than your age
- Pay Attention to Soreness – injuries results from overuse so let your body rest and recover
- Schedule Rest Days – similar to above, schedule some rest time in
- When in Doubt, Sit Them Out – 90% of concussions do not result in loss of consciousness, probably better to sit this one out
- Encourage Warm Ups and Cool Downs – get the blood flowing before a workout and work on range of motion afterwards
- Never Let Them Play Through Pain – it’s just not worth it
It’s also good to keep some of the U.S. Soccer resources handy in-case you have any injuries on the field.